How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed family member or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your used hearing aids versus getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the overall populace, about 14% suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some form of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who need hearing aids have ever had them
This is really worrisome. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated loss of hearing. As a matter of fact, new studies come out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. These health problems can be prevented and in some cases reversed by hearing aids.
And the final persuasive point is that hearing loss can cost the average family $12,000 in income every year. But that cost can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a tremendous effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by many manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.